Monday, June 29, 2015

TransAm Bike Race -Saturday

Didn't start till late this morning ( sort of yesterday morning really). About 12 ish, having stayed at Larrys place. What a great guy. Larry was so cool - really nice guy. He
washed my kit for me and was so helpful.
Headed out on the road with no Garmin. Had the maps on my phone but not easy to use that way. It soon started raining and me being so awesomely clever can't remember the password for my phone and so the only way I can unlock it is with my fingerprint. Doesn't work so well on the rain. So I was pretty frustrated early on .......... anyway weather did clear up.
Let me backtrack a little
Rode really well for about 4 hours. Knocking off the miles. Looking at the maps, finding the next town, reaching the next town. Doing really well. Stopped at Wendy's- looking out the window I could see big grey storm clouds approaching - thought to myself I want to be in front of that storm. Quickly hopped back on the bike and found some good tail winds. Then the rain came and I got soaked but there were still some pretty good winds pushing me along so it was worth it.
At this point  I realized the route actually follows Virginia Route 76 and the signposts are amazingly good so I could follow them rather than worry too much about my phone. Went really well - the signed route helping a lot. But it was rather unnerving wondering if I'd gone wrong as I cycled along.
Did quite a lot of stopping to check the map today!
Anyway it worked ( more or less)
Riding really hard and fast this morning with the intention of getting to the point where I can set off tomorrow and get the job done.  Rode 245 miles yesterday. Another 245/250 today and I'll be in the right spot.
Checked on Felix when I stopped for lunch and he was just in front of me. So I managed to close him down today. Pretty confident I can catch him. Even started thinking about the guy in front of him.
Lovely conditions for riding later in the day. Rolling hills. Wind non existent or helping. Tired from over riding and could have done with my Garmin. But all in all did well.
Late in the evening I realized Felix had stopped to sleep and I had passed him. There was a big climb ahead. Lexington to the following town with only one restaurant was another 50 miles. That's a long way without any services especially as that meant I would be starting that climb at 6am. So I decided to get a hotel, sleep a little bit, start latish and hopefully finish early next day.

Oh yes. I did get lost earlier. I was hoping to get to Lexington about 3 am and looking forward to about 7 hours sleep. But I took a wrong turn and of course every time you take s wrong turn it involves a steep hill. 5 miles out which means another 5 miles back again. Then I was exhausted and needed food and water. The 24 hour petrol station was of course closed. At least the last 10 miles were along a river and slightly downhill so I could roll and ride. That saved me. Think I'd have collapsed into a ditch otherwise.
But I am here and tomorrow I am going to go for it. Means about 280 miles.
Big climb in the morning then will just see how it goes. If I need a sleep I will stop maybe at the side of the road. I am just so excited to be nearly done!!


1 comment:

  1. How you manage to ride so many miles each day I don't know.Nearly there now good luck with the last few miles

    ReplyDelete