Sunday, June 21, 2015

Trams Am. Mosquitoes Everywhere.

oK So had to get to the next Post Office to pick up my parcel. Cruised the 50 miles - arrived in good time. Great to have clean clothes. Even better to have s new tyre. Found a great place for breakfast and met a really nice older guy who just wanted to chat. He had been an Iron worker and was chatting away about Pensions and Unions. He wanted to know if we had a Workers Union at Beaver Creek!!!!!  He explained that his pension was not enough to live on so he had a little side business going on - growing asparagus!! Really nice guy.
I  really amped up now and looking forward to the rest of the day. Thought to myself it's going to be a good day - flat terrain and Id already had s greatornomg so far.
So I headed out and it was good for a couple of hours. The tiny little towns I was cycling through were a bit hit and miss when it came to cages and stores. More importantly I had to work out when to fit my new tyre. There was supposedly a bike shop in 75 miles. My plan was to get them to fit the tyre while I ate/ rest. That should save me some time. But worried about it lasting but at least if it did blow up on me I had everything with me to replace it.
After about another 25 miles on the wind picked up just that little bit and was blowing south west as I am traveling east. Pain in the arse. Slowed me down just enough - just what I didn't need. Made it all more of a struggle. Reached the town but of course no bike shop!  Just a grocery store and a Mechanics. Apparently the guys at the Mechanics who might've been able to help were not there. However the lady there let me use their workshop. So I changed the tyre which went very smoothly and quickly so I am super happy.
Carried on going.
Yesterday I was continuously being attacked by mosquitoes. Even stoping for a pee and I was jumping around all over the place trying to avoid them. I look like s pin cushion with bites everywhere. So uncomfortable.
So I was trying to figure out what to do tonight. Can't keep stopping in motels but I don't want to get bitten. Really don't understand how the others are coping. No tent and is horrible sleeping in bike shorts. At least now I have 2 pairs of shorts so the idea is to clean a pair during the day and then put s fresh pair on at night ready to start riding in next morning.
But every time I stop I just get bitten. I have nothing to cover myself and protect me from the bugs. I had another idea to sleep at s launderette while washing my clothes. I have lots of bright ideas. Another one is to ride all night and sleep during the day. But again finding shade and trying not to get bitten is going to be difficult   I was actually going to try that last night but I was too tempted by the hotel. Worst thing is then it is so difficult to get going on the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment